Bonita Springs Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
Under Florida law, a catastrophic injury is defined as one that causes long-lasting or permanent impairment, disfigurement, disability, or scarring. While any injury can be considered serious, one that is catastrophic can change your whole life. If you cannot return to work right away, you may be unable to maintain your standard of living. You may also not be able to partake in the same activities and hobbies you once really enjoyed. If you suffered a catastrophic injury due to the negligence of another person, you can file a personal injury claim against them to recover financial compensation. Our Bonita Springs catastrophic injury lawyer can help you do it.
Common Types of Catastrophic Injuries
There are many different types of catastrophic injuries. The most common of these are as follows:
- Traumatic brain injuries: Any damage to the brain can be considered traumatic. A traumatic brain injury can cause life-long cognitive dysfunction, speech issues, limited mobility, and more.
- Spinal cord injuries: Respiratory and circulatory problems, partial or full paralysis, exaggerated reflexes and spasms, loss of bowel or bladder control, and chronic pain are just a few spinal cord injuries that are considered catastrophic.
- Amputations: Any time an appendage is separated from the rest of the body, it is an amputation. Many people first think of limbs when they consider amputations, but fingers, toes, hands, and feet are also appendages and the loss of any of these can result in lifelong impairment.
- Serious burns: Burns are usually classified as being a catastrophic injury. These injuries are more prone to infections and they result in reduced mobility for accident victims. Burns also require invasive treatment options and they are incredibly painful.
- Internal injuries: Perforated organs, internal bleeding, and other internal injuries are usually life-threatening. This is particularly true if they are not immediately discovered and treated.
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
Any type of accident can cause a catastrophic injury. However, these injuries are more common in certain of accidents, including:
- Car crashes
- Boating accidents
- Truck accidents
- Slip and falls
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bus accidents
- Construction accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Golf cart accidents
- Defective products
- Dog bites
- Nursing home abuse
- Motorcycle accidents
Why are Catastrophic Injury Cases So Complex?
Any personal injury claim can become complicated, but when catastrophic injuries are involved, they are even more complex. That factors that make catastrophic injury cases so complicated are as follows:
- The damages in catastrophic injury cases are much greater, meaning insurers are even more reluctant to pay.
- Expert medical testimony is usually required to fully understand the nature and extent of the injury.
- Catastrophic injuries require extensive treatment right away, and well into the future, so it is important to calculate these and add them into the claim.
Our Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Bonita Springs Can Help You Claim a Full Settlement
If you or someone you love has suffered a catastrophic injury due to another person’s negligence, you need legal help. At Cardinal Law, our Bonita Springs catastrophic injury lawyer can outline your options and help you through the process to claim the full and fair damages you deserve. Call us now at 239-610-0845 or chat with us online to schedule a free consultation.