Immokalee Birth Injury Lawyer
Medical advances have improved the safety of labor and delivery, but too many birth injuries continue to happen. In fact, statistics show that maternal mortality has risen in the United States over the past decade. There are many reasons for this, but hospital negligence is certainly one factor. If you or your baby was injured, you should contact Cardinal Law, P.A. to speak with our legal team. An Immokalee birth injury lawyer will identify whether you can sue a doctor, hospital, or other person for preventable injuries.
Birth Injuries to Children
A baby might suffer an injury during pregnancy, labor, or delivery. Often, the misuse of forceps or extractors is to blame, but other injuries stem from delayed C-sections or the failure to identify fetal distress.
Some common injuries include:
- Violent delivery can result in broken bones, including a broken collarbone.
- Facial paralysis. Misuse of forceps can damage the nerves on your child’s face, causing temporary paralysis. Although this injury often heals on its own, some babies will need surgery.
- Brachial plexus injury. A difficult birth can injure the nerves that run through the arm and down to the hands, resulting in weakness and an inability to use the limb.
- This condition refers to bleeding around the skull. If left untreated, then a baby could suffer jaundice, anemia, or another serious medical condition.
- Oxygen deprivation. A baby who suffers oxygen deprivation can end up with hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy and severe brain damage. Babies can die when oxygen deprivation is prolonged.
You might not immediately notice anything is wrong with your baby. Over the ensuing years, however, you wonder why your child experiences developmental delays. Please contact a birth injury lawyer as soon as you suspect something. The statute of limitations is complicated when children are involved, but you will benefit from prompt legal advice.
Birth Injuries to Mothers
Women are also at risk of serious injury while pregnant, including:
- Heart attack. A mother might suffer a heart attack when she bleeds uncontrollably after birth. The loss of blood causes the heart to pump extra hard, often leading to cardiac arrest.
- Women are at risk of stroke throughout pregnancy, with the risk increasing in the final trimester.
- Many hospitals have infections circulating, and some are difficult to treat with conventional antibiotics.
Medical teams must listen closely to a mother’s symptoms and not dismiss them out of hand. Unfortunately, many women are told that the pain they feel is “normal” and are discharged from the hospital with the recommendation that they take a couple aspirin. This type of disregard for maternal health is unforgivable.
Call Our Experienced Legal Team
Medical malpractice is a leading cause of birth injury, affecting both mothers and children. Cardinal Law, P.A., can investigate what happened in the delivery room and seek financial compensation, where appropriate. Birth injuries often require additional medical care and carry the risk of permanent disabilities. Many families are staggering beneath medical bills and emotional distress. Let us help you get the justice you deserve.