Naples Commercial Truck Accident Lawyer
Each year there are more than 45,000 commercial truck crashes that result in injuries, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Indeed, in 2020 alone there were 4,842 fatal crashes involving such trucks. While there are many reasons for such accidents, most involve some form of negligence, either by the driver or another party.
Commercial trucks pose a special risk to the safety of everyone on the road. A “commercial truck” by definition weighs at least 10,000 pounds. That’s more than twice the weight of the average passenger car. So if you are involved in a collision with such a vehicle, you will likely bear the brunt of the impact. A qualified Naples commercial truck accident lawyer can assist you in taking legal action against a negligent driver or trucking company to recover financial compensation for your injuries. At Cardinal Law, P.A., we specialize in representing clients harmed in commercial trucking accidents, and we will make every effort to obtain damages on your behalf.
Five Common Reasons for Truck Accidents in Florida
Commercial trucks are heavy–and heavily used–vehicles. Drivers often work long hours to meet tight delivery schedules. And while there are a variety of federal regulations designed to ensure the safety of both drivers and their vehicles, those rules are often ignored for the sake of expediency.
With that in mind, here are some of the more common examples of how negligent or reckless behavior can lead to a commercial truck accident:
- Fatigue – Federal “hours of service” rules specify how long a driver can operate a commercial truck without taking time to rest. Drivers who try to “push through” fatigue can fall asleep at the wheel or lose attention at a key moment, thus leading to a crash.
- Speeding – Driving over the speed limit is always reckless. But it is doubly so when operating a commercial truck that requires a greater amount of time to slow down or otherwise react to changes in road conditions. Speeding, especially when trying to overtake another vehicle, often leads commercial trucks to swerve off the road.
- Distracted Driving – Again, like any driver, if a trucker is eating, using their smartphone, or otherwise distracted in any way, they can easily cause an accident.
- Improper Loading of Cargo – If a truck is not properly loaded, that too can lead to an accident as the driver suddenly loses control of the vehicle due to a shifting of weight or a blown tire.
- Improper Maintenance – Even when a driver does everything by the book, the same is not always true for the trucking companies. If the truck owner has not adhered to a proper maintenance schedule for the vehicle, there can be a mechanical failure that leads to an accident.
Contact Cardinal Law Today
Commercial truck accidents frequently lead to serious injury and death. So if you are the victim, or the family member of a victim, it is imperative that you seek out legal advice from a Naples commercial truck accident lawyer who specializes in handling such cases. Contact Cardinal Law, P.A., today to schedule a free initial consultation.