Fort Myers Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Florida is, unfortunately, one of the least safe states for riding a bike due to the lack of safe infrastructure, wide surface streets, and fast speed limits. However, the roads have become less and less safe for cyclists across the country due to an increase in road rage and a decrease in police enforcement. If you were injured in a bike crash caused by a negligent driver, we encourage you to take legal action against them. Our Fort Myers bicycle accident lawyer at Cardinal Law, P.A. is fully committed to our injured clients, and do not stop pursuing justice until the job is done.
Top Seven Types of Bike Crashes
- Hit from a side street—The driver, who is at a side street or parking lot pull out, violates right of way by cutting in front of an approaching cyclist.
- Being doored—The driver or passenger opens a parked car door directly in the cyclist’s path, causing the cyclist to crash. This can happen if the cyclist is in the bike lane or the shoulder of the road.
- Right hook—A driver to the left of the bike lane/road shoulder makes a right turn, cutting off a cyclist who is going straight (or also turning) in the bike lane or right hand side of the road.
- Hit from behind—The cyclist is simply hit from behind by a distracted, drunk, asleep, or road raged driver.
- Left turning vehicle—A driver makes a left turn across one or multiple lanes of oncoming traffic, hitting the cyclist, who is going straight, from the side, head-on, or causing them to T-bone the vehicle.
- T-bone crash—A driver blows through a stop sign or red light, hitting a cyclist in the intersection who had right of way.
- Head-on crash—A driver in the wrong lane of traffic, parking lot, alley, or other roadway hits a cyclist from the front.
Damages You May be Entitled to as an Injured Bicyclist
If you are a cyclist who was struck by a motor vehicle, you stand to gain more in a personal injury claim than just the cost of replacing your bike. Other damages you are most likely entitled to include medical expenses, lost wages and lost earning ability, pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of joy of life, other property damage, and more. However, it is first necessary to prove fault before anything else. This may require working with police and witnesses, tracking down witnesses who were not interviewed by the police after the crash, hiring a crash scene forensic expert, and more.
Call a Fort Myers Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you were hit by a driver, there is a very likely chance that they caused the crash, even if they are currently denying responsibility. A lawyer will be able to prove fault if they are truly negligent. Our Fort Myers bicycle accident lawyer at Cardinal Law, P.A. can help you establish fault and damages, file a claim, negotiate a settlement, and argue your case in court if necessary. Call us today at 844-874-PAIN to schedule a free consultation.