Recovery From Soft Tissue Injuries
Accidents can happen in various ways. Car crashes, slips and falls, and sports or recreational mishaps are all common causes of personal injuries in Naples. These often result in damage to muscles, tendons, or other soft tissues. Our Naples personal injury lawyer explains more about soft tissue injuries and what to expect in terms of recovery times.
Common Types of Soft Tissue Injuries
Soft tissue injuries generally fall into two categories: acute or overuse injuries. Overuse injuries can happen on the job or during daily activities and generally occur over time, due to either performing repetitive motions or repeatedly pushing yourself beyond your limits. In contrast, acute injuries happen suddenly and as a result of accidents. Car crashes, slips and falls, or other accidents in which the reckless and negligent actions of others are often responsible.
According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, there are generally four common types of acute soft tissue injuries:
- Sprains, which involve stretching and straining of ligaments. These are soft tissues that connect the bones throughout the body;
- Strains, which involve stretching or straining of either the muscles or tendons, which are soft tissues connecting muscle to bone.
- Tears, which can impact muscles, tendons, or ligaments;
- Contusions, which are when blows to a particular spot cause bruising and damage to underlying soft tissues.
Protecting Yourself In The Event of Soft Tissue Injuries
Anytime an accident happens and soft tissue injuries are suspected, seek medical attention immediately. Johns Hopkins Medicine advises that x-rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), or computed tomography (CT) scans can all be used to help diagnose soft tissue injuries. Treatment may involve procedures to repair the damage in the case of tears, although generally doctors simply advise rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE) of the injury site.
Soft tissue injuries can take long months or even years to completely heal. During this time, the area is weakened and more likely to suffer re-injury. It is important to take precautions to prevent this from happening, as it could result in long-term disabilities. These include:
- Follow all your doctor’s instructions regarding testing, treatment, and physical therapy;
- Adhere to their recommendations regarding activity restrictions;
- Enlist the help of family and friends in performing tasks around your home;
- Avoid accepting any accident settlements prior to speaking with our Naples personal injury lawyer.
Discuss Your Case With Our Naples Personal Injury Lawyer Today
When you suffer soft tissue injuries in accidents for which others are to blame, you have the right to hold those at fault accountable. Insurance policies they have in place can help cover some of your costs or you may be entitled to file a personal injury lawsuit against them.
Before taking any legal actions or accepting any insurance settlement offers, reach out to Cardinal Law, P.A.. We can help ensure you get the maximum amount you need to recover from your injuries. To discuss your case with our Naples personal injury lawyer, call or contact our office online and request a consultation today.