DUI Car Accidents In Naples: Know The Risks
Most of us are so used to driving that we rarely even think about what a complex task it actually is. Maintaining control of your own vehicle, navigating the various road, weather, and traffic conditions, and responding appropriately to the actions of others on the road requires concentration and skill. Driving with any amount of alcohol in your system or while under the influence of drugs significantly increases your odds of being involved in a car accident in Naples. Our Naples car accident lawyer explains more about the risks and how to protect yourself and your passengers.
The Impact Of Driving Under The Influence
According to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), roughly 30 percent of all fatal motor vehicle accidents are due to driving under the influence. Of alcohol. Having even just a few drinks can seriously impact your driving abilities. Common effects are likely to include:
- Impaired judgment, making you less aware of potential dangers and less likely to realize how intoxicated you are;
- Lack of coordination, making it harder to steer, apply the brakes, and perform other driving tasks;
- Reduced vision, making it harder to see the road and other drivers, pedestrians, or bicyclists;
- Slower response times, making you less likely to be able to respond appropriately in the event of an emergency or any type of unexpected event.
Alcohol is not the only substance that has dangerous impacts on your driving abilities. Driving under the influence of recreational drugs is illegal as well and causes the same types of impairments as drunk driving. Even being under the influence of prescription or over-the-counter medications can make you more likely to be involved in a crash.
Protect Yourself Against DUI Car Accidents In Naples
According to the state Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), close to 6,000 motorists are killed each year as a result of DUI car accidents in Florida. As a driver, it is important to be aware of the risks and to take precautions to protect yourself and others. These include:
- If you are going out and plan on having a few drinks, make other arrangements to get home.
- Avoid overindulging in alcohol in general and keep an eye out for your friends.
- Never let someone drive if they have any amount of alcohol in their system.
- Be alert for erratic drivers who may be impaired, particularly during the late-night and early morning hours.
If you suspect another motorist is driving under the influence, get a description of the vehicle and their license plate number, Pullover at the first safe location and notify law enforcement.
Reach Out To Our Naples DUI Accident Lawyer
DUI-related car accidents can have devastating impacts on drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and other road users. At Cardinal Law, P.A., we help at-fault drivers accountable and help victims and their families get the compensation they are entitled to. Give us a call or contact our Naples car accident lawyer online for a consultation.