Holiday Road Trip Travel Safety Tips For Drivers In Naples
The holiday season involves spending time with family and friends. This often requires plans for road trips. Whether traveling to nearby cities in Florida or destinations in other states, take precautions before you go. To prevent personal injuries from jeopardizing your health, our Naples car accident lawyer recommends being aware of the hazards and following our safety tips.
Common Causes of Holiday Car Accidents In Naples
Car accidents are a leading cause of death and disability in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), they claim the lives of close to 40,000 people each year, while leaving millions of other victims suffering serious personal injuries. The holiday season is one of the most common times for them to happen.
Whether planning a holiday road trip or visiting friends across town, be aware of the increased risks. Common causes of holiday car accidents in Naples include:
- Distracted driving: Drivers are easily distracted by passengers in the vehicle, making plans via text, and looking out the window at holiday decorations.
- Aggressive driving: Most people have busy schedules and tight time frames to follow during the holiday season. This makes drivers more likely to speed, tailgate, or engage in other aggressive behaviors behind the wheel.
- Increased traffic: People visiting loved ones and holiday shoppers create traffic congestion, increasing Naples car accident risks.
- Driving while impaired: There is a tendency to overindulge over the holidays and drunk drivers pose serious risks, particularly at night and on weekends. Being under the influence of certain prescription drugs or cold medications can also pose serious hazards.
- If you are planning a holiday road trip to other states, winter weather conditions can also make car accidents more likely to happen.
Naples Holiday Travel Safety Tips
If you are driving locally this holiday season, take your time, expect traffic, and avoid rushing or engaging in aggressive and potentially dangerous behavior on the road. If you plan on taking a holiday road trip, Frommers recommends following these steps:
- Have your car serviced by a licensed mechanic before you go.
- Make sure tires, brakes, and lights are all in good working condition.
- Pack an emergency road kit, with flairs, a flashlight, a cell phone charger, bottled water, snacks, and first aid supplies.
- Plan your itinerary and check routes before you go, watching for road closures or areas with heavy traffic.
- Inform others of your trip, the roads you are taking, and when you expect to arrive.
- Require everyone in the vehicle to wear seat belts at all times.
- Get plenty of rest the night before your trip.
- Stay informed on weather conditions and how they are likely to impact the roads.
Reach Out To Our Naples Personal Injury Lawyer
Cardinal Law Firm helps victims of car accidents in Naples get the compensation they need to recover from their injuries. To protect your rights in filing a claim, contact our Naples car accident lawyer and request a consultation today.