Toy Safety Tips To Prevent Personal Injuries In Naples This Holiday Season
A large part of the holiday season centers around the joy of seeing little faces light up when they open gifts. If you are a parent or otherwise have children in your life, toys are likely on your holiday shopping list. To prevent accidents from marring this year’s festivities, it is important to use caution when making toy purchases. Our Naples personal injury lawyer offers tips to help ensure the items you buy are safe.
Make Safety A Priority When Shopping For Holiday Toys
One of the highlights of the holiday season centers around making wishes come true for the little ones in your life. In making up holiday wish lists, toys often take top place. Each year, popular items seemingly fly off store shelves. Unfortunately, some of the items purchased end up proving unsafe.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), close to 200,000 children are treated in hospital emergency rooms each year during the holidays due to toy-related personal injuries. Among the most common hazards include:
- Toys with small pieces, which can cause choking accidents in children;
- Toys with sharp edges, resulting in serious cuts and lacerations;
- Electronic toys, which can shortcircuit and cause burn injuries;
- Toys such as bikes, skateboards, and scooters, which increase falls and motor vehicle accident risks.
When purchasing toys for the children in your life this year, be aware of how personal injuries can happen and make safety a top priority by following a few simple safety tips.
Follow These Toy Safety Tips This Holiday Season
While you naturally want the children on your holiday shopping list to be happy with their gifts, the CPSC warns consumers to consider toy safety before making any purchases. To prevent toy-related personal injuries, Johns Hopkins Medicine advises following these tips:
- Buy only from reputable vendors: This helps to ensure products you purchase adhere to federal safety regulations.
- Make sure a specific toy is age-appropriate: Age guidelines are usually listed on the box or in other packaging.
- Use particular caution with small children: Make sure blocks are large enough not to pose choke hazards and check stuffed animals and other toys to ensure they are properly made, with no loose parts.
- Be wary of battery-operated toys or those with painted parts: Batteries increase the likelihood of burn injuries while painted toys may contain potentially hazardous substances.
- Invest in safety equipment: If purchasing a bike or any type of sports and recreational gear, make sure to include helmets, pads, and other needed safety equipment.
Reach Out To Our Naples Personal Injury Lawyer
While taking a few simple precautions can help to keep children safe, personal injuries in Naples can still happen during the holiday season. Cardinal Law Firm provides the caring support and professional legal representation you need to hold those at fault accountable. To discuss your rights in filing a claim, reach out and contact our Naples personal injury lawyer today.