Protecting Yourself Against Hit And Run Accidents In Naples
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of personal injuries in Naples. When negligence on the part of others is to blame, you have the right to hold them accountable. Unfortunately, to avoid liability, at-fault drivers may attempt to leave the scene. Our Naples car accident lawyer explains more about the risks and how to protect yourself against these crashes.
Naples Resident Killed In Hit and Run Crash
A 35-year-old local woman was tragically killed in a recent fatal hit-and-run accident. According to a January 2, 2023 Yahoo News report, it happened along Airport Road at approximately 8:30 p.m. The victim was riding a bike and crossed the southbound lanes of U.S. 41 when she was struck by a passing motorist. Police state that while the at-fault driver fled the scene, he was quickly apprehended.
Sadly, hit-and-run accidents are common in our area and can put drivers, passengers, bicyclists, pedestrians, and other road users at risk. In addition to making it more difficult to get compensation in a claim, hit-and-run accidents also increase the risk of fatal injuries. Not stopping at the scene or reporting any type of crash results in dangerous delays in medical treatment for those impacted.
What causes a driver to behave in such a callous manner? Hit-and-run accidents in Naples can often be attributed to one of the following causes:
- The at-fault driver panicked and hoped to avoid liability;
- They lack a valid driver’s license or insurance;
- They were under the influence at the time of the crash or engaged in other illegal activities;
- They are wanted by police on other matters;
- They have concerns about their immigration status.
What To Do if A Hit And Run Accident In Naples Happens
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), our state has one of the highest rates of hit-and-run accidents in the country. Hit-and-run drivers are involved in more than 25 percent of all crashes and often leave victims suffering severe and life-threatening personal injuries. What should you do if a hit-and-run crash in Naples happens? Take these steps to protect yourself and your rights in filing a claim:
- Try to get a description of the vehicle, the driver involved, and the direction they headed after the accident;
- Notify the police immediately;
- Get names and contact information for witnesses;
- Make note of exactly where the accident happened, as there may be surveillance cameras nearby;
- Contact our Naples hit-and-run accident lawyer immediately.
Contact Our Naples Car Accident Lawyers
At Cardinal Law, P.A., we can take the swift legal actions needed to identify hit-and-run drivers in Naples. This includes working with law enforcement, soliciting tips from the public, and canvassing the area where it happened. If you or someone you love is injured in this type of crash, contact our Naples car accident lawyers right away.