Resolutions To Protect Your Health And Reduce Naples Medical Malpractice Risks
A new year offers the chance to make a fresh start and many of us make resolutions about how we can improve our health. While visiting your doctor regularly plays an important role in staying safe and managing symptoms, it is not uncommon for them to make mistakes that could put you in danger. Medical malpractice is an unfortunately common problem. Our Naples medical malpractice lawyer shares New Year’s resolutions that can help to reduce your risks.
Naples Medical Malpractice: Know The Risks
As with any personal injury claim, medical malpractice involves proving others were negligent. You will need to show that the medical provider failed to take what others in the field would consider reasonable precautions in protecting your health or otherwise behaved in a reckless manner that put you at risk.
Medical malpractice is an unfortunately common problem, both in Florida and across the United States. According to the National Institutes of Health, roughly one out of every three medical providers will face accusations of medical negligence at some point in their careers. Common ways for it to happen include:
- Downplaying symptoms;
- Failure to run appropriate tests;
- Misreading test results;
- Failure to refer patients to a specialist;
- Failure to provide emergency medical treatment;
- Mistakes and errors during surgical procedures;
- Failure to consult the patient chart or consider allergies and drug interactions before prescribing medications.
Protect Yourself Against Medical Malpractice In Naples In 2024
Under the Florida Statutes, medical providers can be held liable for mistakes and errors that put your health at risk. In a medical malpractice claim, they could be made to pay all medical costs related to the incident, any lost wages suffered, and additional amounts for your pain and suffering.
While filing a claim helps victims get the compensation they need to recover, preventing medical malpractice in Naples from happening is an important goal. Make these resolutions to protect yourself in 2024:
- Get copies of and review all medical records, including test results;
- Review your patient file to ensure it is up to date;
- Make sure your doctor is aware of your family medical history;
- Report any troubling symptoms immediately to your provider;
- Ask questions if you are not clear on their instructions;
- Get a second opinion if you suspect your doctor is wrong or downplaying the situation;
- Check the Health Grades hospital rating system to protect yourself when undergoing more intensive treatment;
- When visiting the doctor or undergoing a procedure, have a friend or family member come with you to act as your patient advocate.
Request A Consultation With Our Naples Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Medical malpractice in Naples is unfortunately common and can have major adverse impacts on the health of patients. If you suspect you or someone you love is a victim, get Cardinal Law Firm on your side. We take the legal actions needed to hold negligent medical providers accountable. To request a consultation with our Naples medical malpractice lawyers, call or contact our office online today.