Safety Tips To Avoid Golf Cart Accidents In Naples
Longer days and warmer spring weather mean an increase in outdoor activities. It generally also means an increase in the number of golf carts you are likely to see in neighborhoods or even some local roads. Whether you are a resident or a tourist in the area, be aware of state laws and general precautions that can help protect your safety. Our Naples golf cart accident lawyer offers helpful tips.
The Rules Regarding Golf Carts In Naples and Other Low-Speed Vehicles (LSV)
Golf carts and other low-speed vehicles are popular year-round in Naples. However, there are complex laws that govern use. Under the Florida Statutes, the term ‘low-speed vehicle (LSV)’ describes anything on four wheels that can travel at speeds ranging from 20 miles per hour to 25 miles per hour.
These require a valid driver’s license and the vehicle itself must be licensed and insured according to state-required minimum mandatory coverage limits. Golf carts, in contrast, typically travel at lower speeds and do not require a driver’s license, valid vehicle registration, or insurance. However, there are other legal requirements:
- Golf carts may only be operated on roads designated for golf cart use with posted speeds of less than 30 miles per hour;
- Golf carts may cross portions of country roads or those that intersect golf courses and mobile home parks, provided there is a designated road for crossing;
- Drivers must be at least 14 years of age.
It is a common practice among some golf cart owners to modify their carts in various ways, allowing them to run faster or sit higher off the road. Be aware that these modifications may change how your golf cart is classified under state law, and could subject it to low-speed vehicle requirements instead.
Naples Golf Cart Safety Tips
It is important when driving any type of vehicle, including golf carts, to take some simple precautions to protect yourself and others on the road. As drivers can be held legally liable when golf cart accidents in Naples happen, State Farm and other insurance companies offer insurance to cover potential crashes, even though it is not required. They also offer some simple safety tips that can help reduce the risks:
- Read the owner’s manual before getting behind the wheel;
- Only carry the number of passengers you have seats and seatbelts for;
- Follow all posted traffic safety rules;
- Refrain from talking on cellphones, texting, taking photos, or other distractions;
- Never operate a golf cart while intoxicated;
- Always yield to pedestrians;
- Slow down before and during turns;
- Watch your general speed;
- Keep hands, legs, and feet in the golf cart at all times.
Injured In An Accident? Contact Our Naples Golf Cart Accident Lawyer
Golf cart accidents can cause serious personal injuries. At Cardinal Law, P.A., we help victims get the compensation they deserve. To discuss your options for filing a claim, call or contact our Naples golf cart accident lawyer online today and request a consultation.