Highway Hypnosis: How It Increases Naples Truck Accident Risks
Spending long hours driving is all part of a day’s work for truckers. Deep into a trip and when navigating long, monotonous stretches of highway, staying alert, aware, and focused on the road can be a challenge. It is easy to get distracted and for your mind to wander. All of a sudden, you realize you have covered many miles on your trip without actually being aware of doing so.
This is a phenomenon called highway hypnosis and is common among all motorists. It is a frequent factor in truck accidents in Naples and can have major impacts on other drivers and their passengers. Our Naples truck accident lawyer explains more about the problem and how to reduce the risks.
Truck Accidents In Naples Due To Highway Hypnosis
With the number of major roads and interstates running through our area, local motorists frequently encounter semi-trucks, tractor-trailers, and other types of big rigs during their travels. Unfortunately, this increases Naples truck accident risks.
Drowsy driving and distracted driving are common problems in the trucking industry, and highway hypnosis combines elements of both. Healthline advises that it involves ‘zoning out’ to the point where you are unaware of your surroundings, leaving you less likely to respond appropriately to unexpected events that happen on the road. It is common on desolate stretches of highway, where there is little to divert the trucker’s attention. Signs of highway hypnosis include:
- Yawning and feeling overwhelmingly tired;
- Watering eyes, frequent blinking, and blurred vision;
- Wandering thoughts and difficulty focusing;
- Feeling disoriented and dazed.
Preventing Highway Hypnosis When Driving
Highway hypnosis poses major risks for truckers and increases the likelihood of crashes, which can impact other motorists. Truck Driving Academy offers these tips to help avoid it:
- Make sure you are well-rested between trips;
- Try to drive only during daylight hours;
- Take plenty of breaks during your trip;
- Keep the truck cab cool and well-ventilated by opening windows and running the air conditioning;
- Maintain good posture throughout your trip, which can help make you less tired;
- Make a mental effort to remain focused on the road;
- Avoid listening to mellow, relaxing music or audiobooks that have a lulling effect;
- When snacking, pick light, healthy items and avoid overeating,
- Do not drink too many sugary sodas or overly caffeinated beverages, which can result in an eventual energy crash.
Other motorists also need to be aware of the risks associated with highway hypnosis, as it creates serious hazards when sharing the road with truckers. Signs include going over or under the speed limit and swerving into opposing lanes.
Contact Our Naples Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accidents in Naples can leave others on the road suffering potentially devastating personal injuries. At the Cardinal Law Firm, we help you get the compensation you need to recover. For professional legal representation in filing a claim, call or contact our Naples truck accident lawyer online and request a consultation today.