Pain And Suffering In A Naples Personal Injury Claim
Personal injuries in Naples can happen due to car crashes, slips and falls, and other types of accidents. These can leave victims suffering serious harm, resulting in chronic pain and an inability to engage in previous hobbies and activities for years.
When this happens due to negligence on the part of others involved, you have the right to hold them liable. Our Naples personal injury lawyer explains how, in addition to coverage of medical expenses, lost wages, and other tangible costs, you may also be entitled to compensation for pain, suffering, and other intangible losses.
Non-Economic Damages When Personal Injuries In Naples Happen
Reckless and negligent behavior on the part of others is the underlying cause of most accidents. When victims suffer personal injuries in Naples as a result, they can hold those at fault accountable. In some cases, insurance may cover your losses. In others, filing a personal injury lawsuit is the better option.
Under the Florida Statutes, compensation in a personal injury lawsuit is referred to as damages. It includes payment for all current and future medical expenses resulting from your injuries, lost wages during recovery, and future lost income if you suffer long-term disabilities.
You may also be entitled to compensation for noneconomic damages. These are intangible costs associated with your accident and injuries. Pain and suffering include:
- Physical pain: This includes the actual pain you suffered during the accident, while getting treatment, any ongoing discomfort, and any future chronic pain you will likely experience.
- Mental suffering: This includes the mental anguish you may have experienced when the accident happened and while obtaining treatment, as well as any lingering symptoms of post-traumatic stress, such as nightmares, flashbacks, and increased anxiety or depression.
- Scarring and disfigurement: Lasting scars and loss of limbs or other disfigurement impact both your physical and mental health, often taking years to adjust to.
- Loss of enjoyment in life: You are entitled to compensation if your injuries and ongoing impairments prevent you from spending quality time with your family and engaging in your prior hobbies and activities.
Including Non-Economic Damages In Your Naples Injury Claim
You cannot file a personal injury lawsuit through the Collier County Civil Court based on non-economic damages alone. You must be able to show you suffered actual tangible losses as the result of the other party’s negligence.
You will also need to provide evidence documenting the impacts and why you are entitled to non-economic damages. These may include:
- Police reports and statements from witnesses to the accident;
- Medical reports from your doctor, rehabilitation facility, and therapists;
- Your own statements and that of your family members, elaborating on your injuries have impacted your life.
Contact Our Naples Personal Injury Lawyer
Compensation for pain and suffering can represent a significant portion of your claim. At the Cardinal Law Firm, we help you get the maximum amount you are entitled to. Call or contact our Naples personal injury lawyer online today and request a consultation to discuss your case.