Ring In The New Year Safely: How To Protect Yourself Against Drunk Driving Accidents In Naples
New Years represents one last celebration over the holiday season before the long winter months truly begin. In Naples, many residents will be marking the occasion by going out or having friends and family in. Adult beverages typically go hand in hand with New Year’s Eve events, which can pose serious hazards for motorists. Our Naples drunk driving accident lawyer wants you to be aware of the risks and ways to protect yourself.
Driving Under The Influence: How Even Small Amounts of Alcohol Impact Driving Abilities
Under the Florida Statutes, driving with a blood alcohol content (BAC) level of .08 or greater is against the law and could leave you facing serious criminal charges. However, it is important to be aware that having any amount of alcohol in your system could give police cause to pull you over and increases the risks of car accidents in Naples.
When enjoying open bars and champagne toasts over the New Year’s holiday, make other arrangements for getting home rather than getting behind the wheel. Even one or two drinks could cause major impairments in your driving abilities, including:
- Reduced vision, such as seeing double and increased sensitivity to glare;
- Slowed reflexes, making you less able to respond to sudden changes in traffic or other unexpected conditions;
- Lack of coordination, making it harder to steer, apply the brakes, and perform other driving tasks;
- Poor judgment, making it harder to determine when you have had too much to drive.
Ways To Reduce Your Risk Of Drunk Driving Accidents In Naples
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that drunk driving in Florida claims the lives of close to 8,000 people each year, while leaving thousands of others suffering serious personal injuries. These crashes are more likely to occur over the holiday season and typically peak between the period of New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
When celebrating with family or friends, take the following precautions to reduce the risk of drunk driving accidents in Naples:
- Pace yourself when drinking, making sure to eat and drink plenty of water;
- Stop drinking several hours prior to leaving an event;
- Arrange for a designated driver;
- When attending house parties, arrange to spend the night;
- Keep an eye out for others you are with;
- Refuse to let anyone you know get behind the wheel if they have been drinking and never get into a vehicle with someone who appears impaired.
Our Naples Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Wishes You A Safe And Healthy 2023
At Cardinal Law, P.A., we wish you and your loved ones a safe and happy New Year. Following the above tips can help to protect you against serious drunk driving accidents over the holidays and throughout 2023. If a crash or collision does happen, reach out to us for help. Call or contact our Naples drunk driving accident lawyer and request a consultation today.